Thursday, May 2, 2013

"Stay" by Rihanna - LSS of May 2013

I know it might be too late. And sure, this blog would only prove how up to date I am with the latest in the music industry, but what the heck - this song has been stuck in my head like the Sword of Gibraltar since the Great Siege has ended. 

           Rihanna has been releasing songs lately that have made it to the top charts in different countries since the first week of its release and some of it lasting as long as several weeks to months before another song of hers would take over. I've been a fan of hers since Pon de Replay, and boy has she come a long way. I know, I know, I do no justice claiming to be her fan, yet here I am about 4 months late in giving praise to one of her most successful and teeth-grinding creations.


           Anyway, this song that she did with Mikky Ekko "Stay", which she released earlier January this year, has just captured my senses ever since I was able to sit still and just listen to it --or more like feel it. Painfully. Word by word. Every note, every pitch, every emotion was just dripping in the entirety of the music and her singing. Her falsettos representing past hurts, present doubts and a future that she desperately wished she could vividly paint but she could hardly see past through the tears that she's been denying...it about blew me up into pieces. 


            I must admit that I haven't seen the music video yet. But I plan to after this, really. I badly want to see it but at the same time... I honestly don't. Try putting on your mp3, ipod, or phone and try closing your eyes while listening to it. Trust me when I say this, when you do, you can't help but feel like you're the one singing it. Yes. That is exactly how I feel whenever I listen to Rihanna sing the female character's part of the song -like it was me all along, that I'm in her shoes and I'm inside an iPod singing through the earphones. It drives me to an edge of something I can never really put a point on except the unnerving sensation that I'm already the one feeling, hurting...that its more than just listening to the song; and it suffocates me; and its wonderful. 


            The piano, the chords and the simplicity of the composition was truly done in all its musical genius. It makes you want to listen to more than just the instruments playing or the words being uttered because the arrangement really is seducing. Beckoning the audiences to do more than just hear the words --but feel them. And that's how Rihanna did it. Without a doubt, she outdid herself in this one. Then, like she's not killing me slowly enough already, Mikky Ekko comes in. Writing a song and singing it are two different things. And boy did this artist do me good. His husky, and lazy way of dragging the words out his tongue as he sings just adds to the frustrated and confused feeling of the male character in the song as if he's telling me "I don't know how I'm supposed to go about this, too." or that "I'm not used to feeling this and its all foreign to me." ...I get goosebumps all the time. All the time.


             I could go on and on but to top it off I would quote Wikipedia on this masterpiece of the 21st century, "The lyrical content regards the temptation and failure of resisting a true love.". 


And isn't that what most of us are doing these days? Maybe that's why this song draws to me so much because I can somehow relate. Once I fell in love, but it was never meant to be. What about you? Have you ever resisted true love... for fear of falling apart? or for the fear of breaking your man/woman's heart? 



Enjoy! :) I hope you get hooked! PS get some tissues ready.


"Stay" by Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko - with lyrics on screen

xoxo
Singing from behind the fan,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone! You are in the official Caludz blogging site. Feel free to comment. :) Your opinion will be respected. mwahmwah love ya'll.